TV Forum » TV Show Chat » Doc Martin

britmystery

The Doc is back...Series 6 is coming to local PBS stations this February.

[url=http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/26/arts/television/the-british-series-d
oc-martin-takes-off-in-us.html?_r=3]http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/26/arts/
television/the-british-series-doc-martin-takes-off-in-us.html?_r=3[/url]

deedee713

Yay, yippee! If anyone doesn't click on the link, I hope the scene depicted in the picture comes true. Listen to me, one would never guess I was almost a hippie. :O)

Nice article, Brit. So true about the movie Saving Grace and the show. Although the teevee show has lagged in spots, it is still very watchable - and re-watchable, which is key in my critical estimation.

I hope Mr. Clunes is true to his word, and calls it a day after one more season. Then again, there [b]is [/b]the lure of coins when they jingle...........

carlapbs

Thanks for the article, [b]Brit[/b]. I'll be on the lookout for the new episodes. [b]Deedee[/b], it will be hard to say goodbye to the show, but I'm glad Clunes is serious about keeping the stories from repeating. Let's just hope someone doesn't get the not-so-bright idea of making an American version of the show, because I can see US coins jingling when they see the show is becoming more well-known. It would be something like what happens on [i]Episodes[/i], and that would be frightening.

deedee713

True, carla. And what David Tennant has fallen prey to with the American version of Broadchurch, where he will even give up his true accent and do a Hugh Laurie. Disgraceful.

Isn't Episodes a good show?

deedee713

Brit, let me know what you think.

carla, after the initial awwwwww factor, I was disappointed. Felt too much like slapstick to me.

starfishfl

CARLA, not to worry about cloning.

Can you see an American Dr. acting like Martin???? Not to mention the non-sterile, third world conditions and practices. His bedside manner or lack thereof and total absence of tact would make short shrift of his career here.

Remember, our doctors have to be liked by their patients, or we go elsewhere. Government does not employ nor underwrite them and tell them where they MUST serve - YET!

Give it a few more years and we all may be under Martin-Care.

deedee713

star..................House. I wasn't a fan, mostly because I don't like when UK actors fake American (Tennant, I'm looking at you), but it was on for many years. I watched sporadically and couldn't believe the writers let House drive through his gf's living room when her daughter was in the room and might have been killed. I gave up completely after that.

starfishfl

Deedee, I wasn't a fan of House either. Gave up after a few tries. It was just too asurd and there was nothing endearing about House.

To me Laurie is always Bertie Wooster. Goofy yes, but nice and kind of sweet, especially as a team with Jeeves.

deedee713

Quite, star. I thought I'd like him in [i]The Oranges[/i]. I didn't. Then again, I turned it off part way in, so if it got wonderful?

britmystery

[b]Deedee[/b], is WLIW running Season 6? I was so disappointed, I tuned in late Saturday night to catch the new episode and NJTV is re-airing Season 5. They advertised it as a premier season, but that is not the case, we have seen (and discussed) this all before. I think it is going to be quite awhile before Season 6 comes my way.

deedee713

Brit, yes they are. I saw that they advertised it, and then reran Season 5.

I hope Season 6 is better than its opener.

deedee713

Duh...edit key, anyone? ANYone?

first [i]they[/i] = WLIW

second [i]they[/i] = NJTV

Edit key.

deedee713

Sorry to say, I had to switch off the second episode yesterday. Don't think I'll be back.

I'll be interested to hear from someone else who is watching Season Six.

I wonder if they changed writers?

deedee713

Anyone getting Season Six? Caught a bit of Episode 43 since nothing else was on, and his mother returned. Anyone catch that? Yes, I turned it off at that point.

Come on, [b]please[/b] tell me they fired all the previous writers. Otherwise, how do you explain Season Six?

Let me guess, Season Six is doing wonderfully well in the ratings.

britmystery

I have been watching. I was looking forward to the (first) wedding episode and was so disappointed. What a mess it was, it actually bordered on unpleasant. They have managed to make The Doc a caricature of himself - instead of warming a bit to family life, he is becoming more wooden, less responsive and just plain nasty at times.

The second episode is better, although that is because of the others characters, not Martin, who is still grating. I like the babysitter and hope he will become a permanent resident in the household I have not gotten to episode 3 as yet, I think that is the one you are speaking of, I plan to watch Saturday night.

I was thinking back to the earlier episodes with Auntie Joan, who always had a softening, humanizing effect on Martin and realize that since her passing, there is no one to balance him. You would think that Louisa would have taken on that role, but quite the contrary, he ignores her and battles her most of the time, it is an uncomfortable relationship (chalk and cheese) that exhibits very little tenderness. Obviously, there are feelings there and we see a glimpse now and then, but Martin's relationship with Joan was actually more endearing than his with Louisa and that is a mistake. The character has lost the one thread that made him understandable to us. One would expect Louisa and the baby (so cute!) to smooth some of his rough edges and maybe as the season progresses they will, although there is little indication of that now.

britmystery

Also, I don't know how you felt, but I was less than impressed with Louisa's wedding attire. Caroline Catz's is a beautiful woman and they usually dress her so prettily. I love her dresses and cardigans. For the first (unsuccessful) wedding she had her hair simply up with a full tea-length dress and pointed high heels, if I remember correctly. She was a vision, it was perfect.

I realize that because of the storyline in this disaster of an episode they choose a more simple dress and hairstyle, but it did nothing for her and it was a total waste not to make such a lovely woman shine as she should on her wedding day. Again, another disappointment.

deedee713

[i]They have managed to make The Doc a caricature of himself - instead of warming a bit to family life, he is becoming more wooden, less responsive and just plain nasty at times.[/i]

You hit my nail on the head, Brit. I was furious with the first episode, and have written off DM completely as 'must watch' television. The writers - please tell me they are new? - have made him an unpleasant narcissist. What is worse, to me, is that Louiser is a spineless enabler of his personality disorder. I notice many American sitcoms do this nowadays, BBT e.g. Man is angry at woman---woman gets upsets---woman capitulates---they live happily ever after, until the next idiotic episode, laughs all around.

Without spoiling (Martin as a donkey is no spoiler), the latest episode is no better. In fact, it is worse, you'll see why.

[i]it is an uncomfortable relationship (chalk and cheese) that exhibits very little tenderness. [/i]

Chalk and cheese, nicely put. They spent how much of their time and what is worse, HOW much of mine, chasing each other now? They pushed and pulled, pulled and pushed. And so, instead of running far, far away, they enter into one of the most unpleasant unions I have seen since 1955. Don't ask.

carlapbs

It sounds like the doc is returning to how cold he was in the first season. [b]Brit[/b], you're right, Auntie Joan humanized the doc. I miss her, she was one of my favorite characters. The show has never been the same without her.

My local PBS will be showing the new season beginning the first week of April. Based on your reviews, [b]Deedee[/b] and [b]Brit[/b], I'll lower my expectations and maybe enjoy it more that way. There's always the lovely scenery to enjoy even if the stories disappoint.

deedee713

...more on [i]chalk and cheese[/i]

He enters the house at night, barely acknowledges her, and instead of sweeping that adorable baby into his arms, also barely (if at all) notices him. Horrid stuff. I for one would like the current crop of writers to attend psychological counseling and work out why they are transferring their dysfunctional lives onto the screen.

[i]

I realize that because of the storyline in this disaster of an episode they choose a more simple dress [/i]

You mean Stan Laurel's dress? Did that episode remind you of anything more than a very bad Laurel and Hardy short? Tell me - WHY did she keep on the veil? Since when would the very OCD doc forget his luggage in the car? How hilarious was all that falling in the mud? There was more about it that was horrid, but I blocked it out.

As I said, I hate this season. Wish I were smart enough to have returned the 6th Season DVD as I was the 9th of New Tricks, which now (again, catching some of 10) is abominable.

deedee713

I wish you luck, carla. Even the very gorgeous locale couldn't make me stick with this season.

Let us know what you think. Sorry for the spoilers.

ShareTV® - The Online Television Community
About Us | Contact | Forum
[Switch to Desktop Version]