TV Forum » TV Show Chat » General Discussion

soler

Now that you mentioned it [b] Brit[/b] .... that story of her personal life trouble is coming back to me.
I will always have a soft spot for her as well . What a horrible time that was for her. This is a surprise :

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0XROhVSKfQ]Michelle Dockery Sings Sweet, Melodic Rendition of "Blue Skies" - YouTube[/url]

she's a bit of a jazz singer in her off time . I would like to hear more.

Of all the characters on Downton I would say the most interesting was Barrow. He had a streak running thru him where he could be cunning , and a conniving schemer . Yet, he could be benevolent at times . Ya just didn't know which side was gonna come out . I think Robert James Collier must of had a great time playing this character.

alikahna7

[This Post has been removed by a ShareTV Moderator]

alikahna7

alikahna7

alikahna7

alikahna7

alikahna7

alikahna7

alikahna7

alikahna7

alikahna7

alikahna7

larrydime

appara2

Brit, when I read your post - way back when you were talking of retiring across the pond - the first thing that came to mind was the driving too!!
Being a military town, we do have a few that bring their cars with them. It's disconcerting to see someone backing all the way through the Tim Horton's drive-thru to order and pick up their coffee!! LOL

I had pretty much decided to record Belgravia and binge watch (only 6 episodes and I think we are on the 3rd now).

soler

[i]I have been watching the French housing market, actually I have been studying it, to see if Brexit will have an impact. There are a lot of Brits that own property in the Cote d' Azur [/i]
[i]
[/i]
[i]
[/i]
[b]Brit [/b].... the biggest hold back for me would be the language thou I don't know how much of a problem it would be in the Cote . Spain is a popular retirement spot for a lot of Brits , although I don't know if language would be a problem .

britmystery

It depends on where you are in the Cote, [b]Soler[/b]. In Cannes, they are quite friendly to Americans and will speak English to you from the onset. To some extent, Nice is the same. Closer to the Italian border in Menton, you better have polished up your French, because you will rarely find someone who will speak to you in English unless, and this is the important point, you try to speak in French. I know (at least knew, I don't use it so I start to lose it) enough French to be polite. I always greet in French, start to order at a restaurant in French and invariably those that do speak English will help me along. I have found that people appreciate visitors trying, which they should.

We love the whole area, but we are best suited for Cannes or Nice - that is where I would locate. I am also interested in Golfe Juan, which is about a eight minutes drive outside of Cannes. It is smaller and does not have the liveliness or amenities of Cannes, but it does have a great port area which has a hub of restaurants that is very nice. I will tell you Cannes has it all, and I find it much more manageable than Nice. Although, there is a new tram at the Port in Nice which is helpful for getting around. The Port, Frank Pilatte Blvd and The Promenade from the Port to the Negresco is our favorite area. It also is quite expensive.

We stayed two weeks in Villefrance, have visited and stayed in both Nice and Menton and spent almost two weeks in Cannes. Our Wedding was in Antibes (at the Port) and Cap Antibes. We have also visited all the surrounding villages/towns... all together the Hubs and I have spent close to six weeks there. We have mostly stayed in apartments. We go food shopping like the locals (one of my favorite things to do) and generally have tried to get a taste of what everyday life is like.

The language is a problem more for the Hubs than me. I am terrible with the language - my French will always be bad, fact of life, but I am willing to improve and overcome this hurdle. He sees it as more of a mountain. I think this is what is sparking the Hubs interest in the English countryside. That, and seeing the lovely homes on the TV. I can understand how he could start imagining it as an option.

I have not been to Spain, I do know that there are enclaves of Brits who have retired, which could be helpful with the language issue as neither of us speak Spanish. In the Cote, Nice is the haven for Americans, so that is also a consideration as I do think it will be difficult to really form friendships with the French people other than becoming a regular at a restaurant or grocery store where people start to see you enough to greet you with Bonjour, ca va?

larrydime

larrydime

larrydime…

larrydime

ShareTV® - The Online Television Community
About Us | Contact | Forum
[Switch to Desktop Version]