TV Forum » TV Show Chat » General Discussion

deedee713

Brit, you know I am one of the best least tolerant viewers on earth. [i]Occasionally,[/i] I am surprised when I do give a new face a chance - oh no, not Branagh, whose mustache came into the room ahead of him - but Rowan Atkinson as Maigret.

I will try to give House a chance, all the while knowing that no one can top Suchet.

Speaking of a new face, did you all see the last episode of DIP? I agree with the Commissioner.

britmystery

Rowan Atkinson was terrific as Maigret! That was a surprise for many as the role was so outside his past characterizations, most people could not imagine him as Maigret. Man hit it out of the park! So it just goes to show you never know, I do have to try to keep an open mind.

I haven't seen the last episode of DIP yet, I think it airs this week.

Yesterday's glitch must have left a mark, I was dreaming last night of my past adventure to find us a new home. There I was back in our PBS days... staying up all night on the computer looking for a forum site that would work for us. I could see it all, I was at my Mom's in New York then and had the computer set up in the bedroom. All of a sudden the Vintage site popped up, it had to be 4:00/5:00 in the morning. I couldn't believe my eyes, because I was finding nothing up to then. I kept checking it and rechecking, something told me this is it and the next day (after a little sleep), I told you all about it. We were a bigger group then. Everyone ageed and our Plan B was born.

It actually was a very nice dream, not often do you get a chance to relive a good part of your life. Those were good days when we were all getting to know each other and I was learning so much about the various British mystery series from all of you. I was watching everything I could get my hands on. It was an important time in my life, Mom and I were together and I was moving in a new direction. I swear I was right back there last night and I could feel it all.

deedee713

What a very pleasant dream, Brit. Our journey on the various sites has meant a lot to me as well. Bravo, A&E, PBS, now here. It is amazing what the brain has stored away to draw upon.

I am having a senior moment, though, what was Vintage?

We have spoken about this, but I just want to weigh in on Facebook as a Plan B. I was banned from FB by the 'estimable' Zuckerberg for an offense that is hypocritical, seeing as who he allows on his site and some of the posts I have read. Let's just say he has his favorites and doesn't cotton to the truth about those favorites.

The worrying part? There is someone or something reading every post you make on FB, and given how the site is set up and the difficulty one encounters with following a thread, I would not recommend it.

britmystery

Let me just say for the record how much I love it here at ShareTV. I am always grateful for the hospitality we receive and the friends we have made here. In truth, I feel more at home here than at A&E. As far as I am concerned I hope we never have to find a new home. I think we all realize though that staying together as cyber friends in an ever changing technological world is somewhat of a dance. We get a little nervous, but given our past history that is understandable.
[b]
[/b]
[b]
[/b]
[b]Deedee[/b], I realize FB is not a viable option as I know I am the only one here that is comfortable using it. For me, it was a great tool to connect everyone in my life with my wedding planning. All my friends were able to participate and be part of the process and I received so much positive feedback from them that they were able to be involved even though we were miles apart. It has its' positives, but I duly note the negatives you have mentioned (as they are true) and I do think that that is the general opinion of everyone else here.

The Vintage Board was our home on A&E! That was where all discussion regarding the original programing was allowed, which was expanded to include PBS programing because much of what A&E first offered was previously aired there. While we were there it was expanded to talk about international programming as well (mostly due to me) and remember they had an active mystery book discussion group going on there for years before we came. It was a catch all place for "vintage" programming discussion of all kinds really. And remember, [b]Alastair[/b] also did his movie discussion threads as well.

deedee713

Duh, of course! LOL, as I said, a senior moment.

Thanks, Brit.

britmystery

[b]Deedee[/b], I watched [i]The Lady Vanishes[/i] with Dame May Whitty last night. It popped-up on Prime, I had looked previously for it there, but found only the two later versions, not the original. Maybe they recently added it to their line-up... I don't know, I might have just missed it when I was first looking for it. The film has been remastered so it is beautifully clear. I enjoyed it very much! Truthfully, I wouldn't have bothered to watch it if you had not recommended it.

Charters and Caldicott did not come off as well in this film as I had expected, they certainly improved the characters when they did the 1985 BBC series (which we are all fans of). I was expecting them to jump in to the fray to help Iris find Miss Froy as they are great detectives in their own series... but no, they were only concerned about getting to their cricket on time until things got very serious. I much prefer Michael Aldridge and Robin Bailey in the roles.

soler

Just dug out my copy of C&C and put it on the coffee table . Will spend some time with Aldridge and Bailey on the next rainy day. Been a while since my last view.

deedee713

I'm glad you liked it. I found Dame May Whitty wonderful, and the ending where she appears via the music is lovely. Plus, I love train movies. One of my fondest memories still intact in my brain is taking the train from London to Cambridge (not Oxford, darn it!) in 1983.

LOL, no Charters and Caldicott were not the bravest of lads, and wasn't it nice that the cowardly boyfriend of that woman got it in the end? I imagine Hitchcock preferred cricket to helping women, the old misogynist. Otherwise, Stewart would have fallen out of the bell tower instead of Novak.

deedee713

Wow, Grantchester certainly has gotten dark, hasn't it?

All Chambers was concerned with was dallying with his GF.

Davenport (and the show) now focus on pedophiles and the fractured relationship of Mrs. Chapman. While Leonard rallies valiantly on.

And how about that pulpit speech at the end? Yowza.

britmystery

[b]Spoilers[/b]..............

Yes, [b]Deedee[/b], [i]Grantchester[/i] has seemed to turn a corner with this season. Robson Green (I read) said that this was going to be a dark season, the darkest yet, and he was not exaggerating. Let's see, we have Mrs. C. finding out that her wonderful husband is not the man she thought he was... in part, he gained his fortune by taking advantage of people in desperate situations and that her lovely wedding ring was actually someone else's, obtained by less than scrupulous means as he took it for services he could not render. That alone I would take as a personal betrayal, the rest of his story would have taken my breath away, which it did for Mrs. C.

We have Cathy's mother sent to an psychiatric asylum likely never to return to the outside world as the cure there was worst than the mental disorder. The guilt that Cathy must be feeling would send most over the edge. It is in a no win situation where everyone suffers.

Will (who we actually only just met a few episodes ago) is in a personal crisis, near breakdown, as he questions much of what he holds dear. His mother is marrying another abuser and he has to watch this happen with no ability to stop her. A man he respected and considered a friend is a pedophile, a master of manipulation, with a soul a black as hell - when he gave Will that smirk (when) he confronted him, pure evil, it gave me chills. To live with the knowledge that he sent young men he wanted to help and protect in to this man's clutches is an an utter horror to live with.

With that last sermon, which was way over the top - it came from his lost of faith in human beings. It was the wrong thing for him to heap his disappointment with people and life on his congregation. I felt badly for everyone in the church with him that day. As a man I understand where he is coming from, as a pastor he needs to take a step back and not subject "his flock" to such a devastating outlook on life. He is devastated, but the brimstone and fire he projected on to them was uncalled for.

britmystery

At least there is Leonard who is pushing forward with light and strength. He is the only light of this season! I do see how the present story arc with Mrs. C. will have to make her reconsider her feelings regarding people and life in general. She has just come to understand that life is not always black and white - most people live with some part of grey and this may help to her to be more understanding with Leonard.

I was wondering how the fans of the series were taking all that is happening with the characters as this is a bit of a change from the Sidney years. I have read the comments on the Masterpiece FB page and many are giving it a thumbs up. They are liking the more powerful storylines and new direction with Will.

deedee713

SPOILERS.........

I forgot to put the spoiler tag before, sorry.

I couldn't watch Cathy's mother's arc, I found her too nasty. Was she bipolar, is that why she was sweetness and light to hubby and rotten to Cathy? I'm sure she won't be treated well in an asylum. Good to get her away from the kids though.

I found it interesting that Mrs. C., with all her morality, did share with hubby that she loved her jewels that he got her, with ill gotten gains no doubt.

Hopefully she will cease with her abuse of Leonard, who as you say is the barometer of decency on the show.

I was hoping someone would have killed the pedophile.

What's with the woman who proposed to Will, after he proposed to her? That is an odd storyline, I don't like either of them.

And yes, that sermon was psychotic, did Geordie usually go to his services?

I find this season to be flogging a dead horse. But for lack of anything else on right now, it makes good background noise.

britmystery

Yes, she is bipolar. Cathy did not ask her to come to stay with them, Geordie did. That was where the mistake was made in my opinion. He should not have done that. I do realize that he had no knowledge of what Cathy dealt with growing up - her mothers mental illness was kept a secret to all outsiders as that is what children are told to do and it is difficult to ever get pass that, even as an adult. Cathy called her sisters for help hoping one of them might take their mother in, but they refused understandably. They knew what they were going to be dealing with. So, this was all heaped on Cathy and it was not of her own choosing. It turned out to be a mess for everyone.

Yes, it was enough that Cathy had to cope with her mother's mental condition growing up, it would have been totally unfair to her children to have to make them do the same. Something had to be done.

I agree on the storyline of the journalist and Will. The whole relationship is odd and after years of Sidney and his woman issues do we really need to go there with these two? I could well do without her.

As uncomfortable as the pedophile story was, it was an important one. I read someone's comment on the PBS FB page and she said she had a feeling something was very wrong, she was picking up clues in the last few episodes - getting a bad feeling as she watched. I did not get that myself, but after she said this I started to look back at the young man's actions and it was there, something was not right - that boy tried to get away and no one understood why - least of all Will.

I do have to say Geordie did not like the whole "teaching boxing" scheme from the beginning, he did not know the truth of the situation, but his sense was not a positive one. He, in fact, said this to Will, he was not getting good vibes and he was absolutely correct on this one.

britmystery

I was thinking the same thing when I saw Geordie at the service - does he normally go on Sunday's? He may have attended that particular Sunday knowing that Will was not in a good place and he was trying to lend him support. For the foreseeable future, I think Leonard should give the weekly sermon, he would do an outstanding job. It is a shame that he does not get the credit he deserves from that parish.

kamelia1

[This Post has been removed by a ShareTV Moderator]

soler

Well that last ep. was quite a change for Grantchester . Never have been a big fan of clergy / detective shows but this one is proving to have a different twist with the arrival of the new guy. Always have to question the motives characters like this pedo who are only trying to 'help' these young men. Geordie had it right when he was talking to Will when he said " they can fool ya " This scenario was far more believable then clergy / detectives chasing bad guys down alleys. Really can't see Mrs. C and Jack Chapman being a couple . They don't look like to me to be a good fit. This Brimble guy ( who has a brother looks just like him ) is better fitted for sinister rolls ex. would be excellent in the Jekyll and Hyde story , he has that look. Him and his brother make good villains . lol They both have good stage presence .. ya don't forget them. Will be watching next week ... and I bet that was the whole idea with the producers and there new direction. Don't forget Endeavour starts Season 7 on August 9.

britmystery

[i]This Brimble guy ( who has a brother looks just like him ) is better fitted for sinister rolls ex. would be excellent in the Jekyll and Hyde story , he has that look.[/i]
[i]
[/i]
[i]
[/i]
Yes, point taken. I see what you are saying. I think they were looking for distinguished older gentleman, but now that you mention it he does have that "gangster" look of the 1950's. Well, he actually turns out to have more of that in him in this role than we first thought.

Totally off topic, the Hubs and I went to the store to pick up a few items last night and after the young woman (she was in her late 30's early 40's) checked out our items she looked up at us and asked SENIOR DISCOUNT? Apparently this particular grocery store offers a senior discount on Tues. and the couple before us used it.

Let me tell you I was floored, I stopped and stared at her, my eyes had to be as large as saucers. Senior discount! OMG! The Hubs asked what the age for the discount is - he, of course, was not eligible yet, but I was. I am going to be honest, I almost fell over. No one has ever asked me if I wanted a senior discount before this. I just has a big birthday a few weeks ago, so the number (and my mortality) is looming before me. I think the clerk knew she had hit a nerve.

As we were walking out the Hubs was happy with the $3.00 saving we got, remarking that he never knew about the discount. Personally, I would have rathered pay the extra. I looked at him and said when did we get old? He said we have to face the fact that we are not as young as we think we are. We are not, but we have been holding our own, we have a very youthful outlook on life and take care of ourselves.

I guess I have to realize that we are moving in to a new phase in life. We look like a well established couple of a certain age and that is that. I am telling you all this though, I am not going down without a fight. I figure I have another good five years before it all falls apart!! :) :)

soler

SENIOR DISCOUNT ...... WHAT'S THAT ... LOL as if I don't know. It's a bit of a shock [b]Brit[/b] when it first gets thrown at ya. Must say I was a bit miffed the first few times BUT we are not as young as we think we are . Was at a food court ( before covid ) at a Burger place and got talking to the woman behind the counter , go there regularly so we talk ... she told me quietly that the new policy there was not to give the discount unless people ask for it ... so I ask .... not only there but other places as well ... if ya can save a few dollars .. why not . That's the way I look at it now. lol BRING ON THE DISCOUNT .

britmystery

I watched the [i]Grantchester[/i] finale last night.... I don't know what to say... I don't know how I feel about it. They certainly made every effort to wrap everything up in a nice bow, and leave on a high note. [b]Soler[/b], I saw your comment on the Grantchester thread, since I don't have anything further of substance to add I am leaving this comment here. The series has been renewed for another season, so at some point more is to come.

britmystery

Did you all see the trailer for the new season of [i]Endeavour[/i]? Oh, did that look good or what! I am jazzed for the new season.

We are up to the original [i]Morse[/i] episode [i]Happy Families[/i] on my local PBS station. This is not one of the better episodes, imo, I don't care for the story, but it is chock full of great actors - Martin Clunes, Gwen Taylor, Jonathan Coy, Anna Massey, Rupert Graves and Alun Armstrong, all of which I enjoyed seeing (once again) in their younger years.

Last week we had the episode where Morse is reunited with his great love Susan, [i]Dead on Time[/i]. It is Lewis, not Morse who is the star of this one. Morse was an emotional mess, it was Lewis who drove the train on the investigation and showed much compassion for Morse in the process.

Next episode, Morse and Lewis are off to Italy. I vaguely remember this one, but it should be good as Morse is in his sacred place listening to opera.

ShareTV® - The Online Television Community
About Us | Contact | Forum
[Switch to Desktop Version]