TV Forum » TV Show Chat » Midsomer Murders

zainy_elen1

[This Post has been removed by a ShareTV Moderator]

zainy_elen1

[This Post has been removed by a ShareTV Moderator]

britmystery

Soler, you will never guess what I watched last night... [i]Fit[/i] [i]for Murder[/i], with our dear Tom Barnaby! They aired it on my local PBS the other night (in two parts) and I DVR'd it to watch. I saw John Nettles face on the screen and I just wanted to see the old crew again, particularly since this was his last episode and one of my favorites from the later years.

I finished Part One and plan to watch Part Two tonight. JN is looking so good, very fit, reminding me of his younger Bergerac days. I remembered near the end, the last season or two, he had slimed down quite a bit.

Tom B. and Sergeant Jones were so good together. That combination of personalities was gold on screen. I'm even thinking of going back and revisiting the Jones years again. I did that oh, about seven years or so ago - I am trying to remember and I can't - it may have been even longer.

That would be good winter viewing. It takes me awhile when I do this, I am currently doing the same with [i]Lovejoy[/i] and [i]Only When I Laugh.[/i] I am slowly working my way through these series again. I am planning on rewatching Lovejoy until S4, I had done a watch of the later years a few years back. And, I am nearing the end of my re-watch of the early Poirot years. Now, that has been pure joy. Along with [i]Fit for Murder , [/i]I[i] [/i]watched[i] A Cornished Mystery, [/i]last[i] [/i]night[i]. [/i]Talk about golden, these are gems.

soler

Good winter viewing indeed [b] Brit. ' [/b][i]Fit for Murder '[/i] , what a treat for you . I have 5 eps. of Scot to go before I start the Jones era of MM which I am looking forward to as DS Jones is my fav. Barnaby side kick. [i] Lovejoy[/i] was a unique show , and that has to be put down to Ian McShane . For my winter viewing I am going to take in a few ' [i]A Touch of Frost [/i]' as I have all the disks. Seeing David Jason in a role he was meant to play will be a welcome relief from that hideous ' Open All Hours ' he revived in his semi retirement years. Good God , has it been almost a year since we were last in this thread ? Time is a thief .

britmystery

[i]A Touch of Frost[/i] is perfect winter viewing, [b]Soler[/b]. When you think of it, [i]A Touch of Frost[/i] was the last screen work that was long lasting for David Jason. "Open All Hours" is funding his retirement (as well as a few others)... it has had six seasons, more than anyone ever predicted I'm sure, but without it, these last years may have been leaner. He has been doing voice work and currently is involved in a children's program, but looking at his resume, there is not much else after the season of [i]The Royal Bodyguard[/i] ended in 2012.

britmystery

[b]Soler,[/b] I watched a Midsomer episode I never saw before this weekend. It popped-up on my TV, it is an earlier John Barnaby episode... what got my attention, DS Jones had a girlfriend! I never saw him with a companion before - they rarely gave out much information about his personnel life and there he was in the middle of a love scene when I clicked on to it so of course I had to go back and watch it from the beginning. It is S15/E2 - [i]Murder of Innocence[/i].

The best part of the episode is that Jones is given a lot of screen time. I can't say I had a problem with Neil Dudgeon in this one, and that is mostly because Jones had a greater presence than in others I have seen of his era. The story itself was not one I really enjoyed. Try as I will, I can't get to a place where I garner any real enjoyment from the series after John Nettles left. It just is what it is.

I was left with the feeling that Jones' girlfriend does not show up again in future stories - his "give me a call' was not enough for me to think that the relationship had any long-term life. Maybe they should have made it stick because it could have been a balance for John and Sarah's relationship which can get a bit much. She so comes off as Ms. Perfect to me... I miss Joyce and all her hobbies and such - she was a housewife that always seemed in the middle of everything and somehow it came off believable - you got a kick out of her. Not so with the new Mrs. B.

soler

[b]Brit[/b] .. didn't realize Jones had a girl friend , surprised by this , because as you said , his private life didn't get much air play . I have all the eps. numbered and [i] Murder of Innocence[/i] is # 91 .. he only has 4 more eps. until he leaves the series so I don't think anything came of it. At present , I am weekly viewing at ep. # 48 , so I have a long ways ta go before I get to # 91 . I am in the Tom / Jones era and lovin' it , will be a sort of a let down when I eventually finish Nettles era and start with John and Sarah. The Dullgeon does not fill the shoes for me and I never did warm up to Sarah . What holds my interest was that I found the story line quality remained high but I do miss Tom , Joyce and Cully .

britmystery

Soler...

[url=https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/mar/07/betty-willingale-
obituary]https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/mar/07/betty-willing
ale-obituary[/url]

soler

[b]Brit .[/b].. what a long accomplished career she had , first with BBC then ITV . Working on Jane Austin's Mansfield Park and Bleak House as a producer as well as many others. Seems her works at BBC were outshined with her ITV years. Bringing the Midsomer Series together was the high light for me. PBS had another Begathon this week - end but got a Downton Special on PVR with the ' Pantry Thief ' talking about the DOWNTON MOVIE. bit dated but I'll watch . lol

britmystery

What really got me - which I did not know before reading her obituary - was that she selected John Nettles as the lead for the series and had Anthony Horowitz as the writer of the the first episode, [i]Killings at Badger's Drift [/i]and go on to write much of the first two seasons along with Douglas Watkinson, another excellent writer. This was brilliant as this combination of talent is what put Midsomer on the map as a legendary series.

That first episode is superb and still among the very best - if not the best of the series. Choosing John Nettles, after his run as Bergerac, was really going out of the box because his Bergerac character was quite the opposite of Barnaby, but she envisioned him in the role and he ran with it.

I saw that special, you will enjoy it, it only gives a hint of the movie though. Did you get a chance to see the movie yet?

britmystery

[b]Soler[/b], I was looking through the PBS weekend line-up last night (as I usually do) to make sure that I don't miss something that I want to see and I hit upon the beginning of a [i]Midsomer[/i] episode... I had nothing planned to watch (and I haven't seen one in ages) so I let it roll on and it was one I never saw before.

Well, it was a great episode, [i]A Dying Art [/i](S18E4). Gwilym Lee was playing DS Nelson, he isn't the liveliest of souls, but I like him (more than I do the present sidekick). What really made this episode such a standout for me was the cast... it was a who's who of British actors - so chock full that I think this one had to be among the best when it came to cast.

First there was Denis Lill (of [i]Mapp & Lucia[/i] fame), I mean really, when do I ever get to see him. Never. Then we have David Bamper (looking very Hollywood, I may add) Cherie Lunghi, Saskia Reeves, Adrian Scarborough and Ramon Tikaram. Had this been Hollywood, we would playing in the "big money league" for casting. As this is the UK, that is not the case, as they most likely all got the standard fee for guest stars.

Thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyed it.

soler

Glad you enjoyed it [b]Brit [/b] ...... nothing like a good Midsomer to round off the week end. Gwilym Lee is pretty dry isn't he. Would never have been my pick for a Barnaby side kick. He's the first and only one to never wear a suit and tie. Total casual look . Every ep. I see him in I wonder if he's working or on his day off. It's not a look that lasted as the latest guy is back to suit and tie. One thing that I noted after the total cast change ( DS Ben Jones being the last of the old crew ) was that the writing stayed very good and some of the best scripts came after the change from Tom to John surprisingly enough .

ShareTV® - The Online Television Community
About Us | Contact | Forum
[Switch to Desktop Version]