TV Forum » TV Show Chat » General Discussion

soler

I have posted a link to here , over on the Crimespace site. Hopefully , we will get some of the old faces as well as a few new ones as well.

soler

Have yet to thank [b]CarlaW[/b] for finding this site and to you [b]Brit[/b] for letting me know.

britmystery

You are welcome Soler... it would never be the same without you - I would miss you!!

deedee713

[i]from your profile page click Community at the top of the page, then select TV Show Chat and select the thread you want[/i]

Hope you don't mind, Brit, I'm reposting your breadcrumbs here as this old Gretel needs them!

If it's okay, I'm going to speak about shows & stuff here, without starting a thread for each show? If anyone minds, let me know & I will cease & desist. :O) No emoticons here, right?

I know we talked about this, Brit, but I was beyond disappointed in what turns out was the series finale for The Cafe. SO much promise, such talented writers, & they left it off - with Sarah taking Richard from another woman & staying in the town she wanted so badly to leave? Very sad.

I'm still trying to watch Sherlock, & which one did I hit upon last night? You guessed it, the one that so turned me off the first time, Sherlock in a sheet. My dearly beloved late Jeremy would NEVER go to Buckingham Palace in a sheet, nevereverever. *sigh* They updated the Reichenbach Falls to a rooftop, it seems? *sigh*

I've actually taken to watching Midsomer Murders, since I now loathe New Tricks, to which I used to switch off. They're in Season 4 on WLIW, & Barnaby so very much grates with his clenched teeth delivery and hanger in the jacket walk. Did you see Sarah's Mum in one of them, though? Poor Troy, how he put up with Barnaby is beyond me. I'm looking forward to the new Barnaby. The countryside & houses are drop dead gorgeous, Brit - do you know where it's filmed?

Maxed out the count! Hence the &.

deedee713

[i]from your profile page click Community at the top of the page, then select TV Show Chat and select the thread you want[/i]

Odd. It appears to let you choose [i]italics[/i] in editing, but then doesn't [i]italicize[/i].

carlapbs

You are welcome, [b]Soler[/b].

[b]Deedee[/b], knowing how you dislike Nettles' acting style, I had to laugh when reading you're now watching [i]Midsomer Murders[/i]. I thought, [b]Bas[/b] must really be hard up for a mystery. :D Aren't the guest stars great though? And as you say, the countryside and houses are drop dead gorgeous. I'm lucky, I've always liked Nettles and I've liked all three sidekicks.

They're rerunning [i]Sherlock[/i] in my neck of the woods. I thought the first series was very good overall and was excited when it returned, but the second series was a letdown.

deedee713

I am, I am, carla! I simply love seeing the character actors, whose names I STILL don't know, doing what they do best.

Oh, the italics edit does work! Joy.

I watch Rosemary and Thyme thrice and thrice more, and love it every time. I was 'this' close to switching from one cable company to another, but they didn't have NJTV, and that was that. It's so comforting to know that I can catch the recently old mysteries on these two channels.

carla, have you seen Martin Freeman in the light British musical movies he's made? He's simply wonderful. And Cumberbatch was awesome in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. The ending still gives me the willies.

deedee713

Speaking of not keeping my tv viewing to myself, has anyone seen any of these movies? I'm a day late and a dollar short on all of them, but [b]wow[/b] were they good:

Amour
El Cuerpo
Seven Psychopaths

donny24

Nice to know that one can share with others what one likes. I will check in a site (don't want to be accused of spamming) if those movies deedee mentions are available.
Carla- which one of the Sherlock you like best? I like Jeremy Brett- he is very histrionic and very strong.

britmystery

[b]Deedee[/b], Midsomer locations are mostly in Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire.

britmystery

I am re-watching Season 2 of [i]Vera[/i], the episode with Phyllis Logan was terrific, hands-down my new favorite series. I have not watched any of the above movies, I heard [i]Amour[/i] was very good, but too close for comfort for me. I'll check out the other two.
[b]Donny[/b], yes, it is so nice to have a place to go to share our interest in TV series and movies with others!

deedee713

donny, I adore Jeremy Brett, it pains me to rewatch both him and Thaw in their roles. Brett because the change from the athletic Holmes leaping over couches to the bloated pained Brett due to heart problems was heart breaking. I read in an A&E magazine (!!!!) where Brett said a heart transplant - suggested due to his heart failing from meds - was too [i]dramatic[/i] for him. Such a loss. Same with Thaw.

brit:

Buckinghamshire and Oxfordshire. Hmmm. Are they on the water? I still want that caravan on the beach.

True on Amour, very, very painful to watch. But the acting? Holy cow.
El Cuerpo was edge of the seat wonderful. And after you've seen the movie, google Jose Coronado. Yowza.
7 Psychopaths? If you like offbeat, you'll love it. Rockwell and Walken were amazing.

Don't you love Vera's house? HUGE, and isolated, and near the water? Lucky lady.

britmystery

Deedee, yes, I do - what could do with Vera's cottage.

No we have to go to Broadchurch country for the beach, or Doc Martin's Cornwall or Weston-super- Mare.

Speaking of the [i]Cafe...
[/i]
I so do agree, I do not think I have ever been more disappointed in a finale. It left me on a very sour note. That being said, they started the re-runs of the second series last night on NJTV. Could not help myself, I had to watch. The thing is, I loved that show until that bitter end and truthfully, I do want to see it again, because (for me) it was a joy until then. So I am going to give it another try. I just won’t watch the last episode so I will not have to go through that disappointment. As I said before, I ask you, what was Michelle Terry thinking writing that (finale episode) for herself?

deedee713

I agree, Brit. It would have been so perfect if they left Richard and Sarah on a bittersweet note, him going off with his wife, and Sarah alone in Cyril's, since her Mum and Stan had eloped.

There she is, cleaning up the counter, Gran sitting in the corner, and in walks...............fade to black!

Heck, they could even have played [i]Don't Stop Believin'[/i] by Foreigner if they liked. :O)

britmystery

If I could, I would put a big smiley face right here! Definitely an improvemet over the ending we got. The best part is the Foreigner song - very creative!
Actually Stan and Carol can't elope because Carol is still married to Sarah's father. But, I get where you are going. Gran was looking at the care home brochures, it seemed to me like she may be moving there, especially since Stan and Carol are "engaged to be engaged". I think she felt she would be in the way, which I would not feel she would be, but that's me.
Do you think Carol would leave Cyril's to work on the allottment with Stan, helping him with the flower business? That would leave Sarah to run the cafe and write her stories. As I said before, Sarah has no one but herself to blame for her predicament with Richard. She passed him by for John and it was not until Ava showed interest (in him) that she became enamored again.
We all make mistakes and we try to correct them, but to attempt to take him from Ava and ask him to live in London when she knew he was happy in Weston-super-Mare was terribly selfish. It was too late for that.

You are absolutely correct, Richard and Sarah's relationship should have been left on a bittersweet note with her looking toward the future, not the past.

carlapbs

[b]Deedee[/b] [b]asked [i]"carla, have you seen Martin Freeman in the light British musical movies he's made? He's simply wonderful. And Cumberbatch was awesome in Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. The ending still gives me the willies" [/i][/b]

Deedee, I haven't seen Freeman in the musicals but I will keep a lookout. I've liked him in other roles. He makes a perfect Watson, and I like that Watson finally is allowed to have a brain too. I was surprised that I liked the new version of [i]Tinker, Tailor, [/i]because some classics just shouldn't be remade. But it turned out really well and you are right, Cumberbatch was very good. He is a very talented actor.

[b]Donny asked, [i]"Carla- which one of the Sherlock you like best? I like Jeremy Brett- he is very histrionic and very strong."[/i][/b]

Donny, I like Brett too. Very histrionic is a good way of putting his style, and I think it worked well for Brett's take on Holmes. I know Holmes is supposed to be emotionless, but he also had that other side that could possibly be expressed by histrionics. When Holmes did something, he did it to the extreme. Even his boredom was extreme. Holmes was very imaginative, and that could easily be associated with being theatrical. Brett's flair made Holmes more human and easier for the viewer, or at least this viewer, to relate to considering that Holmes could be a very cold character.

[i]

[/i]

soler

Love this old girl , she's a hoot :
[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjJc8xLYhak&feature=share]https://
www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjJc8xLYhak&feature=share[/url]

soler

[b]Brit [/b] that [b]sheerwater[/b] sighting seems to be a false alarm , meaning I don't think it was our sheerwater. Avatar was a man in a trench coat wearing a fedora and standing in a shadow , had the look of Film Noir about it . Status was listed as newbie though. Been waitin' for a post but nothing yet . Can't see sheerwater not posting if he had just landed.

britmystery

I agee, he would have found us by now if he was here. We certainly have left enough breadcrumbs.

soler

Thought we might have heard from [b]pgh[/b] J[b]h1[/b] and [b]MC[/b] by now but it is not happenin' . I think [b]sheerwater[/b] and [b]Alaster[/b] are lost forever.

ShareTV® - The Online Television Community
About Us | Contact | Forum
[Switch to Desktop Version]